Not sure what program is right for you? Click Here

© 2011. All Rights Reserved.

Study Abroad in

Back to Program Back to Blog Home

« Los Charcos de Los Indios | Main | En la cocina con Arecelys »


The O'Rourke's Adventures in the DR

 My parents arrived in Santiago on Thursday! It was such a thrill picking them up at the airport. I got to introduce them to my trusted taxi driver and good friend Rafeal. I still cannot believe they are here. I took them for a tour of the University and had a tasty Dominican dinner with them right down the street.


Friday morning we got up bright and early to make our way to Las Galeras, a part of the Samaná peninsula. We piled into a van and started our journey. The drive is beautiful as we traveled through farm lands and a plethora of small towns. It was definitely a great way to see the island. This van took us to the city of Samaná and from there we had to catch public transport to Las Galeras. I ran and got lunch from a Comedor before we hoisted ourselves onto the back of a truck to make the second leg of our journey. Along the drive we picked up many Dominicans with all the goods they were transporting. I was so proud to see my parents enjoying an authentic Dominican experience.

On our dive up the twisty roads we passed through a majestic arch of trees that seemed to continue for miles. The road was covered by an interlaced canopy that created a natural tunnel.


We passed a car that gave a public announcement about preventing violence against women. One of the men in the back of the truck asked me if I had heard it and told me how important it was to treat women well. I told him I have been volunteering for an organization in Santiago that works to prevent violence against women. He took my hand and looked into my eyes and thanked me. His eyes started to tear us and my heart was warmed for the rest of the day from that powerful connection.


We arrived at our striking hotel that afternoon. We brought our things to a delightful room with an ocean view. Before we knew it we were out in the ocean looking back at the striking plantation style architecture behind us and the aquamarine Atlantic Ocean in front.

2014-11-07 06.06.02

The next morning we took a boat to Playa Rincón which is the most beautiful beach on the island. The entire beach spans about 3km. When we arrived that morning we were the only people on the beach. There was a fish shack and small restaurant there but due to the difficulty of accessing the beach, even when more people arrived it continued to be pretty quiet.


We enjoyed snorkeling, wading in the clear water, walking the beach and of course a delicious fish lunch. We got to try to traditional prescado de coco, fish with coconut, which is one of the dishes Samaná is famous for. Our meal was accompanied my fresh pina coladas served to us in the pineapple.



Sunday we had a lazy day. We slept in and walked over to Playita which is only 10 minutes from the hotel. Since it was Sunday there were a lot of locals at the beach. 

2014-11-09 01.11.56

2014-11-09 01.20.53

 Although Rincón was gorgeous, Playita has a wonderful open view of the ocean and in my opinion was more authentic. We each got coconuts to drink and eat, a treat my mom hadn’t had since she was in Jamaica in her 20’s and something I don’t think my dad has ever tried.  I had such a blast showing them things I had tried and what I have learned during my time here.

2014-11-09 00.55.22

 I was sad to leave the following day but I didn’t think I could miss my dance class on Tuesday. We started learning Salsa and, to say the least, I have a lot to learn.

My parents explored the Samaná peninsula for a few more days and made their way back to Santiago on Thursday afternoon. Thursday night we enjoyed a delicious home cooked meal with my host family. My host mom made all my favorite things! Rice with garbanzo means, berenjena (eggplant) cooked with her special recipe, aguacate (avocado), platino maduro (ripe sautéed plantains, my mom’s favorite), casabe, veggies, and jugo de chinola (passion fruit juice). I love my host mom’s cooking and my parents did too. We were all stuffed after a non-traditionally big Dominican dinner.


I had such a blast introducing my families. They got along so well and we shared many laughs. My host mom told me later that she felt as if there was no language barrier at all and that she is sure that if my mom lived closer, they would be best of friends. It was a truly heartwarming experience.


The next morning my parents met up with me bright and early to go on an excursion with CIEE to Dajabón and Montecristi. I intentionally snagged a spot on the bus close to Ryan and Lynne so my parents could hear about their stories in the DR and their extensive knowledge about the history and culture.

Dajabón is a town in northwestern Dominican Republic that borders Haiti. Every Monday and Friday, the governments open the boarder to let thousands of Haitians into Dajabón to sell their goods in the market. Dajabón alone is actually the Dominican Republic’s third top source of income (next to tourism and remesas, the money sent to the DR from families in the US and other countries).

The market place is packed and filled with vendors and buyers. You have to be alert as people carting their goods in wheelbarrows and motorcycles wiz past you every second. I must admit, I was wondering how my parents would deal with this craziness because at first I was pretty overwhelmed. I was yet again pleasantly surprised by my parent’s adventurous attitudes and ability to adapt so quickly. We explored this colorful and kinetic flea market and scored some great deals. Lynne came out with 7 pair of Birkenstocks for under $40US and Ryan found some great cookware and some dock martins. The prices were unbeatable but the experience was priceless


We all grabbed lunch in Montecristi where my parents had a chance to meet lots of my friends from the program. The little restaurant we ate at happened to be an anti-Trujillo meeting place back in the day! For those of you who do not know, Trujillo was an oppressive dictator in the DR for 30 years (1930-1961). Before the 1950s Montecristi was the most profitable port in the country until Trujillo closed it due to the groups conspiring against him in the area.

2014-11-14 02.43.05

After lunch we drove along the seaside and arrived at a virgin beach. Due to the dry climate in this area the beach was different than most I have seen on the island. The beach was boarded by stunning rocky cliffs the glowed as the sun set behind them. We enjoyed wading in the water and my parents found some unique rocks along the shoreline.


That night I took my parents out to one of my favorite restaurants, Satay. We enjoyed a delicious dinner and my dad was happy to smoke a Dominican cigar, designed by one of my friends, after his meal. I was pleasantly surprised when my parents told me they wanted to go to a club to see the traditional dancing I talk about so fondly. I took my parents to Lovera, a club with música tipica that is very local. We were definitely the only gringos in the club. After a few drinks my parents were willing to take a stab at some dancing. My dad caught onto the merengue in no time and my mom followed suit. We had a blast and laughed the night away.


Saturday I took my parents around to see the city of Santiago. Of course, we went to the monument. The view is always spectacular because you can see the entire valley that the city is situated in. We actually went up to the top of the monument, which I had never done before! Little did I know, there is a museum that explains the history of the restoration as you climb up to the top. The highest level has intricate costumes from Carnival and an impressive view of the city.


After our sightseeing and history lesson at the monument we went to Centro Leon, one of the most well knows museums on the island. We ate a delicious lunch in the restaurant there and went to a local artisan fair where my mom and I got some fabulous earrings made from recycled bottle caps! After the fair we explored the museum. We were fascinated by the birds in the aviary as well as the ancient trees all around the grounds. We even got to eat some tamarind from some fallen seedpods. Inside the museum we explored the anthropological exhibit as well as two impressive art exhibits. For the size of the museum we were so impressed by the quality and diversity of the art there.

That night we enjoyed another delicious dinner and then went to a tabaqueria or smoke shop where one of my friends, the cigar designer I mentioned earlier, invited us. My dad got some of the best advice you could ask for and left with a wonderful assortment of some of the finest Dominican cigars. We enjoyed some rum while my dad tried one of the cigars suggested for him. We had a great chat with my friend any we even had a change to meet the owner of the smoke lounge who happens to also be the owner of Davidoff Cigars, one of the most famous cigar brands in the world. My dad got a personal invitation to their VIP lounge in NYC. Cigars in hand, my dad left the tabaqueria with a huge smile on his face.

2014-11-15 23.22.23

For my parents last day we spent the morning in Jarabacoa, a mountainous and refreshing ecotourism hub about 30 minutes outside the city. My good friend and trusted driver Rafael or Rafie took us all around Jarabacoa. We went to Salto Jimenoa, a waterfall where Jurassic Park was filmed. The only way to get to the waterfall is via a series of suspension bridges.  After that adventure we went to La Confluencia, where two rivers meet. There were tons of young boys on horseback encouraging us to take a ride down the shore. If only we had more time.

2014-11-15 22.57.08

Rafael took us to one of the hotels nearby to see a beautiful view of the river. We also took his advice and went to lunch at a delicious buffet style restaurant, Restaurante Bueno Sabor. It might have been the most inexpensive meal my parents had during their time here but had the best flavor, a true testament to the name of the restaurant.


The final touch of the gorgeous day in the mountains was Rafie’s special treat. Rafie promised to take us to the place that had the best ice cream in the whoooole world. Although I didn’t think I could eat another bite after our lunch I quickly changed my mind. We arrived at a tiny family owned store front. This ice cream shop only made flavors that were in season, some with milk and some without. All the ice cream was made without preservatives and with all local natural ingredients.  Rafie got chinola (passion fruit) and my mom got tamarind, which were flavors without milk. My dad and I indulged and I got the famous coconut while my dad tried the batata which is a Dominican equivalent to sweet potato. The ice creams came in little plastic cups with Popsicle sticks jutting out diagonally. Once the outside thawed a little you would take it out of the cup to eat as if it were a Popsicle. This was truly the best ice cream I had ever tasted in my life. Once I finished my ice cream the combination of fresh air and a full stomach eased me into a siesta on our way to the airport.


Although I got a much needed nap in, I was sad to have to say goodbye to my parents so quickly once we arrived at the airport. Their visit seemed far too short. I couldn’t believe they were actually in the DR and the next minute I couldn’t believe they were leaving. Their visit truly seemed like a dream.




Feed You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.

Verify your Comment

Previewing your Comment

This is only a preview. Your comment has not yet been posted.

Your comment could not be posted. Error type:
Your comment has been posted. Post another comment

The letters and numbers you entered did not match the image. Please try again.

As a final step before posting your comment, enter the letters and numbers you see in the image below. This prevents automated programs from posting comments.

Having trouble reading this image? View an alternate.


Post a comment